Elena's Late Start

Just graduated. Not engaged. Definitely not married. And very, very far away from having kids.

October 18, 2011

My Hobby Is Weird.

Or, at least some people may think it is.



 In my free time I dress up in medieval clothes; hang out with my friends; learn how to finger loop braid for the millionth time; watch some fighting; attend a royal court.  Yup, in my hobby is medieval reenactment with the Society for Creative Anachronism. I am quite involved in my local barony, the Barony of Adiantum, I am even our official newcomer greeter, the Chatelaine. I have been involved in the SCA for only three-ish years and I took to it like a duck to water. At my first event I seriously felt like I was coming home, without even knowing my heart and my mind had been searching for something like this.

A lot of people are always shocked when they find out what I do for a hobby.  I suppose it's not a hobby you run into everyday. But I think it is a lot fun. There is a chance you might think it is fun too!

In the SCA we like to say that we reenact all the good parts of the middle ages, and there are many aspects to the SCA.  There are people who fight (men and women); people who make things such as clothes in a medieval method; or people who help out constantly.  I feel that if you have an inclination or desire to try out the SCA I am sure you will be able to find a niche of your own.  There is no limit to what you can do, only your own limits can restrict you.

Me at An Tir West War this past July, in the first dress I ever made.

"How is an SCA event different from a Renaissance Fair?" is a question I get quite frequently.  Most Renaissance fairs are businesses that act much like a theme park.  You pay to get in and then you are entertained by paid performers. At an SCA event you are the performers, you're encouraged to participate and dress-up, rather than just watch. At an Renaissance fair you see people doing this that and the other, but you're not included.  At an SCA event you're able to take classes or just ask people about what they do in the society.  From fighters to artisans to heralds.  Everyone is almost always to happy to talk to you and teach you how to do what they do.  You just don't get that at a Renaissance fair.  The other thing is that the SCA is a non-profit, educational, historical society.  Schools, boy and girl scout troops, libraries, and other community groups have asked us to come in to show children and community members about the middle ages.

Things to do at SCA events are watch fighting, such as wars or tournaments, go to classes for medieval arts, and there is always volunteering.  For me it's pretty much a camping trip, in fun clothes, with my friends, and just some different activities.  A thing at events I love is called court.  This when the royalty, such as the Baron and Baroness, Prince or Princess, or even the King and Queen, hand out awards to the populous.  If you're at a local or smaller event more than likely some people you know and love will be called up and honored.  If you've made an impact on the group or done something awesome you will be awarded, eventually.
Getting my Award of Arms in court from the King and Queen of An Tir, court is all about pageantry and I love it.

One of the best parts?  Matching eras (we're all in Roman) and great friends!
 The SCA has been a great way for me to extend my social circle.  I had a few friends from the dorms, being an RA, and student groups.  However a lot of them had moved away, and I found myself socially stagnant and a skoosh lonely.  Joining the SCA has given me some really awesome friends I cannot see myself now not having, from all age groups.  The other really nice thing is that we're all nerds, deep down.  So our friendships transcend the middle ages to general geekery about table top gaming, Joss Whedon, Star Wars, anime, comics, and other fun nerdy stuff.  My local barony has really become my family.  I have met so many people who I can always rely on to be there for me.
Me, after I got my Award of Arms at An Tir West War this past July.
Doing the SCA gives me another sense of purpose, outside of my normal daily life.  Within the SCA when people do well with fighting, or arts, or volunteering they're given awards.  Each award has a name, meaning, and sometimes you've received a certain award you get a title or your given access to a sumptuary law.  Since I have my Award of Arms I am Lady Aoife (pronounced Ee-faa, it's a Gaelic name I choose myself). I got my Award of Arms, much to my own shock,  I was so emotional that I started to cry in front of the King and Queen of An Tir, then I walked out of court the wrong way, with Chris chasing after me. Awards are a big deal, but not everyone needs them or wants them to have a great experience in the SCA.

If the SCA is something you'd ever find yourself interested in try it out!  There are almost always events happening in your local area.  There are also evenings that local members get together to work on crafts, home their fighting skills, or figure out what is next to happen in their local group.  These evenings are really low-key and a nice way to get to know everyone!  Remember to contact your local Chatelaine, if they have one!  Go into it with an open mind and I am sure you will have a great time!






This is not an official SCA website and does not reflect the policies of the SCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment